NRAL State Announcements‌

The following information from the states is meant to inform you of temporary or recent changes regarding the processing of resident licenses. For specific information regarding state rules, please see the state requirements section.


Posted: 09/10/14

Residents from California, Hawaii and New York applying for a non-resident independent adjuster license must take an Alabama exam based upon their respective states requiring our residents to take an exam under NAIC reciprocity.

Residents from New Mexico applying for a non-resident independent adjuster license must take an Alabama exam based upon the Alabama adjuster law.

Effective January 1, 2015, any non-resident individual choosing Alabama as their designated home state for the independent adjuster license must take and pass the appropriate Alabama adjuster exam and complete the fingerprinting requirements.

Approved prelicensing providers can be found on the Alabama website.


Posted: 10/16/14

All Arizona non-resident adjuster license applicants (individual and business entity) need to apply through the NRL application and not the NRAL application.


Posted: 06/23/13

Michigan license numbers for individuals will be the same as the National Producer Numbers (NPNs), which can be found by using NIPR's National Producer Number Lookup.

Rhode Island

Posted: 12/10/14

If your current Claims Adjuster license expires in January 2015, you must select one of the new Adjuster license types (Company, Independent or Public Adjuster) through the Initial licensing applications. Please do not select Claims Adjuster when attempting to renew your license during this process. By selecting the Claims Adjuster license class, you will amend your license, not renew it for another two (2) year term. If you have any questions prior to renewing; please contact NIPR Customer Service at (855) 674-NIPR (6477) or Rhode Island Department of Insurance at (401) 462-9500.


Posted: 01/22/13

The Department has received a number of inquiries from insurers asking if Vermont law provides an exception to the adjuster licensing requirement if the individual adjusting is a staff adjuster of the insurer. The answer is no, there is no exception for the adjuster licensing requirement, unless the insurer is a Vermont domestic fire or casualty company. See Title 8 V.S.A. § 4791(3). Insurers should review their licensing protocols to ensure their adjusters handling Vermont claims are properly licensed. For information on how to obtain a license, please visit the Vermont website.