WEST VIRGINIA Non-Resident Adjuster Licensing for Individuals


Primary Rules    |   License Printing    |   Business Rules   |   State Offerings   |   License Fees   |   Contacts & FAQs

State Announcements

Applicants applying for a business entity, adjuster or surplus lines license or license renewal before March 1, 2016, will be required to renew the license at the license renewal deadline. If you plan to do business in West Virginia before March 1, 2016, you must be licensed and pay the application fee.


The license expiration date is as follows:

  • Adjuster & Surplus Lines - Renew 5/31 Annually
  • Business Entity – Renew 6/30 Annually

Primary Rules

Response Question
Yes Accepts adjuster for individuals electronically.
No* Accepts adjuster for business entities electronically.
Yes Accepts Adjuster Designated Home State (ADHS) electronically.
Yes Applicant can reinstate a license electronically.
Yes Applicant can add lines of authority to an existing active license electronically.
Yes Print licenses electronically.

* Business entities will apply through Non-Resident Licensing rather than Non-Resident Adjuster Licensing.

License Printing

To print your license, click the state on NIPR's Producer Licensing Map.

Business Rules

Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older as determined from the applicant's date of birth.

State Offerings

Please note that license class names can vary by state.

License Class Line of Authority (LOA)
Company Adjuster None
Public Adjuster None
Crop Adjuster None

* Applications for Other lines of authority will defer to state for approval.

Company Adjuster: An individual representing the interests of the insurer, including independent contractors with the insurer and salaried employees of the insurer.

Public Adjuster: Any person who, for compensation or any other thing of value and solely in relation to first party claims arising under insurance contracts that insure the real or personal property of the insured, acts on behalf of the insured in negotiating for, or effecting the settlement of a claim for loss or damage covered by an insurance contract.

A person who advertises for employment as a public adjuster or solicits business or represents himself or herself to the public as a public adjuster.

A person who directly or indirectly solicits business, investigates or adjusts losses, or advises an insured about first party claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property for another person engaged in the business of adjusting losses or damages covered by an insurance policy, for the insured.

License Fees

Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.

License Class / LOA Combination Fee *
Company Adjuster / All LOA's $25.00
Public Adjuster / All LOA's $25.00
Crop Adjuster / All LOA's $25.00

* Per application.
* West Virginia does not charge a fee to amend an existing license


Last Update: 9/08/2017